Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 Milestone Update
It’s hard to imagine that it’s been just over a year since the world’s most ambitious and advanced cancer collaborative formally launched in San Francisco. Bolstered by decades of work, and fueled by the passion and vision of Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong and you—hundreds of talented medical, scientific, and business and biotech professionals who have come alongside to form an unprecedented collaboration with a singular mission—to conquer cancer once and for all.
Among our most notable accomplishments are the witnessing of great international expansion, not only with adoption of GPS Cancer advance molecular profiling in Europe and Israel, and to majority of oncologists in the Middle East, as well as a unique partnership in Taiwan. Terry Gou, chairman of Foxconn, President Yen Pan-Chyr of National Taiwan University, and Dr. Patrick Soon-Shiong joined forces to make clinical trials available in the Chinese-speaking community that will focus on combatting cancer with immunotherapy.
There have also been significant results from studies that were published and shared with the greater oncology world and significant unity with community oncology partners who have been recognized for being forward-thinking and bringing new hope to cancer patients right where they live. Health plans, medical centers and self-insured employers are taking a bold step forward in changing the way cancer is treated by offering their members and employees coverage for GPS CancerTM, including Independence Blue Cross, Bank of America, Phoenix Children's Hospital, and Sanford Health.
We invite you to celebrate not only the progress and milestones we have accomplished together in the fight against cancer, but to celebrate stories of hope, like that of Lisa, a recent patient and lung cancer survivor. This is what it’s all about – shining a light into the darkness to give people hope. Thank you for being part of the cause. Thank you for helping tell the world that it is time to start believing in a cure.
Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 Milestones
- October 23, 2014, Addressing R&D Productivity Crisis and Leveraging Drug Discovery with Pharma in the Era of Molecular Medicine
- July 31 – August, 2015, Jackson Hole: Breakthroughs in Medicine and Technology Summit
- October 6, 2015, Meeting with Vice President Joe Biden at the White House: White Paper on Cancer MoonShot 2020
- December 1, 2015, Cancer MoonShot Coalition Meeting at Vice President Joe Biden’s Naval Observatory Residence
- January 11, 2016, Historic Global Coalition formed to accelerate Next Generation Immunotherapy in Cancer
- January 11, 2016, Independence Blue Cross announces insurance coverage for GPS testing
- January 12, 2016, Dr. Shoon-Shiong and coalition members, including IBC CEO Dan Hilferty, hold press conference at JP Morgan. Watch the video here: https://vimeo.com/151691814
- January 15-17, 2016, The first Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 Summit meets in Santa Cruz to map out a plan to take the vision to reality.
- January 21, 2016, Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces first clinical trial milestone with promising preliminary results of immunotherapy trial that demonstrated encouraging survival rates in patients with Metastatic Colorectal Cancer who failed all standard therapy.
- February 18, 2016, Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 Announces Formation of U.S.A.'s National Pediatrics Consortium
- March 4, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 partnered with New England Cancer Specialists (NECS)
- March 22, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces that Schulman IRB will be its national institutional review board (IRB) of record
- April 17, 2016 – Precision Biologics shares positive preclinical data on a novel human monoclonal antibody that specifically targets ovarian and uterine cancer.
- April 18, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs announces the Radiation and Immuno-Oncology Working Group
May 10, 2016 - Bank of America, Phoenix Children’s Hospital, Sanford Health become first national and regional self-insured employers to cover next-generation whole genome sequencing and proteomics for various cancers accelerating the mission of Cancer Breakthroughs 2020.
- May 10, 2016 – Promising results shared regarding novel genetically engineered adenovirus vaccine designed to treat colon cancer showed, in Phase II testing, a more than doubling of survival rate, with little to no toxicity. In addition, the FDA approved the vaccine for trials in patients with HER 2 breast cancer, leading to studies including the very aggressive triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC).
- June 3, 2016 – NantHealth introduces GPS Cancer test and the launch of the GPS Cancer Genome Browser
- June 7, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces the Breast Cancer Working Group
- June 8, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces the Head and Neck Working Group
- June 17, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces the Melanoma and Sarcoma Working Group
- August 30, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces the Global Inflammatory Breast Cancer Working Group
- October 30, 2016 – Cancer Breakthroughs 2020 announces the launch of the nation’s largest pediatric brain tumor atlas
- October 31, 2016 - NantWorks announced NantCare Oncology Solutions, a technology support platform for Community Oncology Practices in the Oncology Care Model (OCM)
- November 1, 2016 - Performed nation’s first Neoepitope Antibody Immunotherapy Phase II trial demonstrating safety and prolonged survival in patients with metastatic End-Stage Colon Cancer
- November 3, 2016 - GPS CancerTM expands availability to Italy through partnership with Sorgente
- December 6, 2016 - GPS Cancer™ becomes available in Israel through Oncotest-Teva
- December 6, 2016 - GPS Cancer becomes available to Oncologists in United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, and Lebanon through Lunatus
- December 8, 2016 - NantHealth, NantKwest, and NantOmics announce availability of GPS Cancer and Phase I-III QUILT trials through the U.S. National Institute of Health’s Clinicaltrials.gov